“Daddy & Pappa” on PBS TV

DADDY & PAPA is a documentary that explores the personal, cultural and political ramifications of the growing number of gay men who are making a decision that is at once traditional and revolutionary: to become dads. Taking viewers inside four gay male families, DADDY & PAPA explores the many unique issues that these families face: the ambiguous place of interracial families in America; the wonder and precariousness of surrogacy and adoption; the complexities of marriage and divorce within the gay community; and the legality of gay parenthood. DADDY & PAPA also explores the ways that these families resemble others as the dads take on the daily joys and struggles of raising healthy and happy children.

Gay men become parents through various routes—including independent adoptions, surrogacy situations, and co-parenting arrangements with women. But an increasing number are choosing to adopt through the foster care system, and several of these stories are highlighted in the film. Statistics report that over 500,000 children are currently in foster care and over 100,000 are awaiting adoption. The majority of these are children of color, who the system refers to as “hard to place.” Gay men are offering many of these children the chance to have permanent homes.

In addition to the hard work of parenting, gay dads face many additional challenges: conservatives who regard them as the very antithesis of family; antipathy from parts of the gay community, where hard-won independence and sexual freedoms can often clash with the full-time demands of parenting; and discrimination from the law. In 2000, Utah and Mississippi joined Florida in banning gay adoption. And with similar legislation pending in other states, the attack on gay parental rights is steadily growing.

Through interviews, on-location shooting around the country, archival footage and photos and the personal narrative of the filmmaker’s own journey to fatherhood, including the adoptions of both of his children, the film provides a rare inside view of this growing phenomenon. From the playground to the courtroom, DADDY & PAPA uncovers the struggles, challenges and triumphs of gay fathers and their children—bringing to light a new kind of American family.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments

• 8/6/2006 10:27 AM Andy and Craig wrote:
    ON 11/21/2003 - 10:10 PM
    WE ARE A GAY COUPLE TOGETHER 10 YRS AND WE AFTER A 2 1/2 YR STUGGLE JUST GOT OUR BEAUTIFUL 4 WEEK OLD DAUGHTER 2 DAYS AGO...NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!!!! HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON TO U ALL..WE GOT THE GREATEST GIFT!
  • 8/6/2006 10:30 AM Bronchelle Walters wrote:
    ON 11/16/2003 - 07:04 PM

SOPHOMORE @ UNIV OF HOUSTON

I CHOSE GAY ADOPTION AS A PERSUASIVE SPEECH TOPIC BECAUSE I FEEL THAT THIS IS A VERY CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC THAT SHOULD BE DISCUSSED MORE OFTEN IN OUR SOCIETY. MANY PEOPLE OVERLOOK THE FACT THAT GAY MEN AND WOMEN ARE HUMAN MEN AND WOMEN AS WELL. WITH EMOTIONS AND DESIRES TO LIVE A WARM AND HAPPY LIFE. PROHIBITING GAY ADOPTION IS DOUBLE STANDARD, BECAUSE WHILE TRYING TO HELP ONE PERSON YOU HURT TWO LOVING INDIVIDUALS ALONG THE WAY. I CAN'T UNDERSTAND HOW PEOPLE COULD BE SO COLD HEARTED AND BLINDED BY THE FACT THAT LOVE IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN LIFE.
  • 8/6/2006 10:32 AM Bunny wrote:
    ON 10/08/2003 - 09:07 PM

hey... I visited here for my english project...im 14 years old of cesar rodney high school..i chose the topic gay adoption for my project because i think they should allow gay adoption....why should they stop children to have a better life rather than stayin in an orphanage??ok...i hope you could help me about this topic for my project and also give me some informations....thans alot this web helped meeh
  • 8/6/2006 10:33 AM Shatoya Simpson wrote:
    ON 10/08/2003 - 02:55 PM

I DONT REALLY HAVE A COMMENT BUT I THINK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IS GREAT. I AM DOING AN ORAL PRESENTATION ON GAY ADOPTION AND I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT IF I COULD ASK SOME QUESTIONS ON THE PROCESS OF THE ADOPTION. IT WOULD SO GET ME AN A++ ON MY PRESENTATION. THIS AND MY RESEARCH WOULD BE ALL THAT I NEED TO SAY GAY ADOPTION SHOULD BE ALLOWED AND NO MATTER THE SEXUAL PREFERENCE CHILDREN NEED A FAMILY AND A PERMANENT HOME.
  • 4/5/2011 6:59 AM pleasserbpell wrote:
    I’ve been visiting your blog for a while now and I always find a gem in your new posts. Thanks for sharing.